1. Home
  2. Courses

A Vehicle Recovery Service is a business that tows or recovers vehicles. The towing or recovering has to be for hire or reward. The most common types of vehicles used in vehicle recovery services are tow trucks and car transporters. You’re not seen as a vehicle recovery service when you tow your own vehicle, or tow or carry a motorcycle, or use a vehicle that hasn’t been designed to tow or carry.


Do I need a V Endorsement?

If you’re not sure whether you need a V Endorsement, you can call NZ Transport Agency on 0800 822 422. Note: If you’re planning to drive a heavy vehicle in a vehicle recovery service, you must also ensure you have the right class of driver licence.

If you need to recover vehicles with Dangerous Goods on board you will need a D Endorsement.


About the Course

The Vehicle Recovery Endorsement can be done in half a day if you have evidence of good logbook skills and have done Unit Standard 24089. Otherwise, it is a two-day course.

The first day will include training and working through a workbook and then you will sit the assessment test. Once graded as competent you will need to go to the AA or VTNZ to process the rest of the application.

If you have to do the Logbook Unit Standard there will be a second day, you will be trained and work through the workbook and then there will be an Assessment test. Once you are marked competent you will receive a certificate which you then must take to the AA or VTNZ to have the V Endorsement put on your licence.


What Will I Need?

  • Must have held a full New Zealand Class 1 Licence for two years (holding an equivalent overseas licence will not meet this requirement).
  • Must supply evidence of your identity e.g. Current driver’s licence.
  • Present a Basic Medical under 60 days old from your Doctor for NZTA (if you haven’t done so within five years)

Looking to Book a Course?